Tuesday, October 27, 2009

World Series Game 1

This is my preview to the World Series match up between the Yankees and the Phillies. This is an interesting series with many different story lines, a couple of which being the last two Cy Young award winners pitching against each other and Pedro pitching at Yankee Stadium. With that said, here is my thoughts about the series. Both offenses can explode at anytime and have power hitters from their lead off hitters to their nine hole hitters. I feel that the Yankees hitters will have the better series. Teixeira did not hit a home run in the ALCS, but that should change against a weaker Phillies pitching staff and because Tex is better than that. I believe Jeter will shine like he always does in the spotlight, and A-Rod will continue his historically good post season. Breaking down the pitching, I believe the Yankees have the better starters and relievers. With CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee matching up in Game 1, I give the edge to CC. Since the All Star break he has been unstoppable and on fire. He gave up 2 runs in 16 innings pitching in the ALCS, and I see that continuing. As for Cliff Lee, he struggled against the American League before he got traded to the Phillies, and I think he will struggle against the Yankees. The Yankees line up is just too good, they will break through for three or four runs against Lee. A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte are also better than Pedro Martinez, who is the biggest question mark, and Cole Hamels. The bullpen is also better because of one man, Mariano Rivera. Rivera's ERA in the World Series for his career is 1.16. With all that said, my prediction is the Yankees winning the World Series in 6 games.

No comments:

Post a Comment